Bastian Elementary is located in the rapidly growing city of Herriman, UT with the beautiful Oquirrh Mountains in the background. We believe in making a difference every day by teaching students academic content and social/emotional skills that will develop self confidence, worth and a love of learning to foster independence.
August 3, 2020
I am extremely excited to be on the road back to school. I appreciate your thoughtfulness as you determine what that road will look like for your family. Please know that I support any and all decisions as it is a very personal choice but want to ensure you that we are doing everything we can to provide a physically and emotionally safe environment for learning. I know there are a lot of questions and I wanted to address a few to update you as we move forward.
- Start Date - The start date for the 2020-2021 school year has been moved back a week. Bastian Elementary grades 1st-6th begin on Tuesday, August 25. Kindergarten will begin on Wednesday, September 2, with testing done the week before. More information will be sent out in the next two weeks.
- Yearbooks - Yearbooks from the 2019-2020 school year are being handled by the PTA, not from the school. When they do come in, the PTA will be reaching out to get them to you.
- Class Pictures - Class pictures from the 2019-2020 school year are handled by the school. We have them, and will give them to this year’s teacher. Class pictures will be given to students the first week of the year. If you have moved, are no longer attending Bastian, or have selected the online learning option, we will mail them to you.
- Teacher Assignments - Teacher assignments for the 2020-21 school year will be available after the District gives us the appropriate information regarding numbers of students who have chosen online or homeschool and which teachers will be teaching online vs. in person classes. I’m hoping teacher assignments will be made by August 10th, but there is a possibility that it will be later. I will be sure to send an email as I know more.
- Skyward verification for the 2020-2021 school year. Please log in to your Skyward Family Access, see link on our website, Bastian Elementary to complete the update process. It is often referred to as registration, although you are already registered if you attended Bastian last year, you need to log-in and update your information. We WILL NOT be using the yellow cards this year so ensuring you have updated emergency contact information (more than two people), the technology user agreement, media release and health information is very necessary. Remember, you also can complete the Application for Free or Reduced lunch, if you qualify, as a new application is required at the beginning of each year. It is available online during the registration process or on the District Website or as a hard copy at the school.
- Face Coverings - Face coverings are required for students and staff as we start back to school. Please have your children practice wearing them now so it’s an easier transition as we start back to school.
- Volunteers - For the safety of our students and staff we will not be utilising volunteers in the building. This has been a miserable decision as we love having you as much as you love being with us. I am hoping that as things change through the year we will be able to change to be able to include volunteers.
- Routines and Procedures - Routines and procedures (to include added measures in regards to Covid-19) for the 2020-21 school year are being established. Bastian is creating videos and training documents to teach students and families what those changes will be. We will be making those available as they are ready and approved for use.
- Virtual Back to School Night - Information will be coming regarding the specific date and format for our Virtual Back to School Night. It will be held during the week of August 17-21.
I know this information just touches the tip of the iceberg, but I’m hoping it gives you some insight into the upcoming school year. Please talk with your friends and neighbors to ensure they are also receiving emails from the school. We have found that a few people have blocked the school/District messages and aren’t getting them. The only way to fix that is to call USER at 801-567-8737. The amazing Bastian Office can double check to ensure that you have a valid email address listed in Skyward, but aren’t able to see the other side to troubleshoot.
Take care and please tell your kids I am looking forward to seeing them!
Amanda Edwards, Principal
Happy Summer Break, Broncos!
Summer Hours are 8:00am to 1:00pm. Please check our website or school doors for specific dates we will be closed. If you leave a message we will get back to you as soon as we can. You can also email Nannlynn Clarke at firstname.lastname@example.org or Amanda Edwards at email@example.com
Welcome to the 2020-2021 School Year
We are in the process of updating the Bastian website to reflect changes for the 2020-21 school year. If you are registering new students, the registration page is current. Please complete the online registration and then bring your proof of residency, birth certificate and immunizations to the office. We are open most days from 8:00am to 1:00pm.
**Summer office hours are 8:00am-1:00pm